Contrasting the oversaturated pour over aesthetic.
- Steeping myself in the knowledge and literature of coffee science.
- Learning about materials' thermal properties and manufacturing capabilities.
Contrasting Product Language
Bold and weighty.
Striking and definite.
Formal and ornate.
Dramatic and theatrical.
"The coffee maker is an extension of the barista."
The SCAA Flavor Wheel1
Visually reflect common coffee flavors: cocoa, nutty, brown sugar.
Prototyping form, function, and manufacturing methods
Design for Manufacturability
- Only rudimentary manufacturing processes available
- Even extraction of coffee solubles
- Food-safe, water-tolerant materials
- Ten week timeline
- Brew group fits standard filter papers
Criteria for Success
- Lack of strong persona
- Insufficient needfinding research
This project would have been better served through:
- Better defined design requirements.
- More thorough testing.